Thursday, October 29, 2009

RIP Norman Painting




"The Archers" ("an everyday story of country folk") has been an almost continuous radio essential in my life, sometimes I've fallen by the wayside, but I've always come back!.....we're of an age, the pilot episode went out a little less than a year before I was born and regular broadcasts started on Jan 1st 1951. So sad news today that Norman Painting, the longest serving cast member who played Phil Archer, there from the very first episode as juvenile lead, died aged 85. The above pic is of AN ACTUAL REAL-LIFE ARCHERS SCRIPT, sold for charity a few years ago by Tim Bentinck (who plays his son David)....I bought a few, they made great Xmas presents for other family addicts! In the studio recording only 2 days ago, he'll be sadly missed.

Another thing sadly missed.....



"The Berlin Reunion" which happened early in October, dammit!
"a several-day performance by France's Royal de Luxe street theatre company titled "The Berlin Reunion". Part of the celebrations of the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall, the Reunion show featured two massive marionettes, the Big Giant, a deep-sea diver, and his niece, the Little Giantess. The storyline of the performance has the two separated by a wall, thrown up by "land and sea monsters". The Big Giant has just returned from a long and difficult - but successful - expedition to destroy the wall, and now the two are walking the streets of Berlin, seeking each other after many years apart."

Great pictures here at Big Picture, and a video at Vimeo.....



I really need to start writing a packing list, finding chargers/adaptors/cables/other electronics shite...and, not least, checking that the work laptop actually 'works' (sadly not a given!).....gotta dash!!!

2 comments:

impoftheyard said...

Yep. I have to think about packing and stuff too as I have to take everything to Edinburgh first. I'm sooo excited and really looking forward to meeting you x

b1tchesbru said...

Never really got into the Archers - was enough of a fight to get the one and only radio in our house so that I could listen to the charts on a Sunday! Got a real telling off if I didn't put it back on mum's station when I was done too. Anyway, enough blethering. Hope you have a great time!

Related Posts with Thumbnails